rss

Thursday, March 25, 2010

REVIEW : Resident Evil 5 (PC)

RE5Logo.png RE5 Logo image by Ashe37

I'm afraid of the Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Now how about 5?

Resident Evil 5 is a survival horror third-person shooter game made for the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, which was later ported into the Windows. It is the best selling installment of the Resident Evil series - selling over 5 million copies worldwide. The series itself is one of the most profitable product of Capcom - the same company that made the Devil May Cry series. How I loved Devil May Cry 4.

Resident Evil is probably the most famous series in it's genre. Seriously, I can't name any other game in it's genre.

This game IS SO COOL! (Really, how many times have I used this word?) I admit that I'm afraid of the genre. As if anyone need more horror to their lives. And I'm afraid of the whole game. So why did I bought this and HOW THE HELL DID I BEAT THE GAME?

In spite of the hair-raising goosebumps, the sudden startled jump and the screams I had whenever I'm shocked at sudden events, I managed to finish the game. Well, half of it. My friend started the game up to the 3rd chapter, then I did the 4th chapter to the last.

I believe I spent 10 hours to finished the game in its easiest mode - the Amateur. Then me and my friend spent another 7 hours to play it again - the game has a lot of points in Replayability.

So, what is this game all about? Zombies? Of course.




THE STORY

shot2.jpg resident evil 5 image by soujaboibitch_2008

Oh no! CHRIS!

In the game, you're Chris Redfield. The first thing that I said the moment I saw him was, "Man, I would love to have my biceps as huge as Chris'. I mean, it's as thick as my two arms and a leg combined!". You also have a partner that goes with the name of Sheva Alomar. IMO, she's hot. So why do you have a partner? She'll say that Americans are always on the spotlight whenever they go to Africa, so she's there to help you.

You are deployed in Kijuju - a fictional city in Africa - to investigate and locate a certain Ricardo Irving, who is known to sell bio-organic weapons in the black market. The coordinates of the deal was given to you.

In the city, people are all turned into Majinis - zombies, in other words.

As you approached the location of the deal, you see that the Alpha Team deployed in the area are all wiped out, except for the Captain. He gives you a hard disk that contains data necessary for the HQ to know. He then died.

As the story unfolds, you learn that the matter at hand is not just about a bio-organic weapon, but a worldwide crisis.

And the search for Jill Valentine.

I love her name.

And of course, saving the world from the hands of a crazy Albert Wesker. Does the name sounds familiar? ^^


THE GAME

th1186187375203.gif Resident Evil 5 Gif image by master_vampire

A straight with those biceps of him? Terrifying.

The game is a third-person shooter game. You shoot, you throw grenades, you slash with your knife, you shoot, you stun with your stun rod, you shoot. With an over-the-shoulder view, it's easy to accustom yourself into shooting or whatever you feel like doing with the Majinis.

Seeing Chris' body, we all expect that there are some kind of action besides the shooting. Yes, you can do straights, hooks, and even uppercuts to your enemies. But you need to shoot them at the knees so they will enter what I call "a weakened state" where you'll be able to execute different actions. Cool, eh?

Also, during cutscenes, there are times that you need to press a certain key to progress. Like when you have to run, to dodge an enemy attack, to climb up, etc. When you fail to press that key, you die. It's a feature that promotes our alertness, actually. The keys we need to press are indicated on the screen but it's visible only for a very short time. When they key indicator disappears, it meant to things : you pressed it on time, or you're too late.

Also, there's no pausing of the game when you want to switch weapons. Real-time, man! Just when you need to give ammos to your partner, you're interrupted by enemies. That's why you should have precise timing.

As for the guns, there are wide varieties. What's cool about them is that you can upgrade them - their firepower, reload time, capacity, and piercing power. It costs money, yes, but it helps. You cannot upgrade the grenade launcher, however. Or even the rocket launcher. As if it needs upgrading.

After you beat the game, there are still tons of stuffs you can do. You can beat the game in its other difficulty. You can unlock costumes for your characters. You can do the Mercenaries minigame. And a lot more.

THE VERDICT

ChrisAndSheva.jpg Resident Evil 5 image by Mikeypak90

Buy the game if you don't want to be shot.

Graphics? Beautiful. Can be compared to Devil May Cry 4's graphics. Voice acting? As good as it can be. Can compete with Dragon Age: Origins. Gameplay? Easy and fun. Story? Common, but plot twists add uniqueness. Controls? Piece of cake. Multiplayer? Cool. Goosebumps? Hate 'em.

In one word : AWESOME.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

BlogCatalog

Plurk